These simple local walks have been designed to show off the best of the literary, heritage and scenic locations around the town. They are suitable for people of all ages, with an average fitness level.
All walks start from the heart of the town, outside Ballymahon Library building where information about the literary greats that are linked to the Ballymahon area, can be found.
SHRULE BRIDGE 8km Return / 1hr
1. Start at library, turn left and walk up Main Street (R392) towards the Longford direction.
2. Pass the turn for St Matthew’s Park and Moyvale Estate.
3. Take next left (Moigh Road).
4. Enjoy countryside and farm land as you continue on along that route, past some graceful
homes including Shrule House, Dr Drummond’s House and Castlecore House.
5. Follow the road out to Shrule Bridge over the River Inny and see the ruins of an old
working mill and storehouse.
6. View inscribed stone walls with words of John “Leo” Keegan Casey and enjoy the peace
and quiet of Shrule before returning to town.
WORKHOUSE ROAD 3km return / 20 mins
1. Start at the library, turn right and walk down the Main St of the town.
2. Continue on to the N55 at Lower Main Street, before passing the Doctors Surgery.
3. Turn right walking down past the Inny Kayakers Clubhouse and carpark and on past the
playground on the left.
4. Continue down to Thomond village, formerly the historic Workhouse site.
5. Along the way back, walk down along the river bank (note be cautious of unstable terrain)
and view rapids on River Inny during high water season.