Ballymahon Courthouse and Market House, is a three bay two storey commodious building and has recently been renovated into a new branch of Longford County Library as well as functioning as a one stop shop and community facility.

It is situated in the centre of the town standing impressively along the Main Street and was built in 1819. Inside, the old dock of the former courthouse has been lovingly restored and now plays hosts to performances of choirs and poetry readings more regularly, among other community and artistic related events.

Opposite St Catherine’s Church is the old RIC police barracks. It became a Garda barracks after independence in 1922 until the mid 1990’s when a new station was built on the other side of the river opposite the old mill. The barracks was attacked during the War of Independence on Thursday night 19th August 1920. The attack was led by Sean MacEoin, The Blacksmith of Ballinalee, Sean Connolly and Frank Davis. A small party of local volunteers also took part in the raid. Sean MacEoin later visited the barracks during an election campaign in the 1950s. Ruairi O Brádaigh was also held here in the 1950s during the ‘border campaign’ by the IRA.

Further down on the southern end of the town, on the banks of the River Inny and adjacent to the town bridge, the old Ballymahon Mill is now renovated and restored into apartments. It is a fine mid-19th century six storey building and was built in 1839.

Elsewhere on the Main Street, St Catherine’s Church with its graceful narrow spire is a prominent feature in the town. It was built in 1800. St Matthew’s Church is an impressive and richly detailed Gothic-style Church and dominates the Northwest side of Ballymahon. It was built in 1906. The nearby Convent of Mercy was built in 1882.

The Bank of Ireland building was erected in 1869 on lower Main Street. Other Buildings of interest in the area are Newcastle House which was built between 1710 and 1860 in various phases; Castlecore House was built 1740 to 1765; and Ledwithstown House was built in 1746.

A series of photos of front doors taken along the Main Street of Ballymahon has been very well received from architecture enthusiasts. The doorways are fine examples of ‘Classical Georgian Style Architecture’ constructed out of carved Limestone or moulded plaster. They were designed and constructed to a very high standard reflecting the importance and prosperity of Ballymahon as a planned Landlord market town in the late 18th and 19th Centuries.