Ballymahon GAA first appeared in the record books in 1889 under secretary P Newman. The first game was played in Ballymahon’s Fair Green.
Records and games were sparse until the 1940s. Games were played at various venues from Terlicken in a field owned by Liam Mulvihill’s grandfather, to Ballymulvey, Castlecore and even Antley. In the 1940s under the chairmanship of Rev P McKeown CC Ballymahon took life. Games were played in Moigh until 1953 and from then until 1972 games took place in James Delaney’s field in Drinan. Since then Ballymahon GAA club has had its home in Leo Casey Park. 1989 saw an extension of the club house which in 2014 was renamed the Paddy Kenny meeting room.
Ballymahon’s first championship came in 1945 winning the junior title. There were senior final appearances in 1946 (the famous 0-0 to 0-0 draw with Dromard) and 1950, but defeat was our lot in both. The junior title was won again in 1960 along with our only Leader Cup success.